Saturday, February 21, 2009

Next American Idol



The other day, Karter and I had the radio on to an oldies station. One of the songs played was "American Pie" and ever since, I've heard Karter singing the bit he remembered. But then I really listened to what he was singing, and I thought it was pretty cute.
The real words for this bit of the song go:
"Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.
Them good ole boys were drinking whisky and rye,
singin' this'll be the day that I die,
this'll be the day that I die."

But Karter sings more of an edited kid's version:
"Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry.
Good ole boys being risky and wry (he asked me what wry means and I told him 'smart')
Singin this'll be the day that I try."

I got a kick out of this and I think it's especially because I have a lot fun memories of this song. My best friend from high school (Sarah) knew every word (it's a very long song) and once she got started singing it, she wouldn't stop. I think it's pretty great that Karter can remember parts from songs even if he's only heard them once or twice. But it does mean that we're extra careful about the songs we listen to. He will take notice of lyrics that I've never really listened to before and it's made me be more aware. I'm glad he loves music- I love to hear him sing.

9 comments:

Ashley Welling said...

How cute!!

Bell Family Blog said...

Hey Karter, that was so AwEsOmE!! And Emma loved her Valentine Card, she says Thank you! You are a sweetie! We love and miss you tons tons tons!! Keep up the singing, we want to see more!

Sterzers said...

Way to go Karter!!!! haha I loved it he is so stinking cute. Brian wants to teach him a star wars version by weird al.(I said no thanks) Love you guys!

Unknown said...

too cute. i like his words better.

Sarah Mae said...

He is such a cutie! Maybe you should sign him up!

The Hornberger's said...

KARTER YOU ARE SO SMART. I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO COME UP WITH BETTER WORDS. THANKS FOR PUTTING UP THE VIDEO KARLEY - IT WAS GREAT TO ACTUALLY HEAR HIM SING IT.

Jake and Krista said...

Oh my gosh that is so freakin cute! He is on tune and everything!

Henry Family said...

Sooo cute! I love it! I think he's got some real potential...

Henry Family said...

Sooo cute! I love it! I think he's got some real potential...